Fun Upcoming Outdoor Events Around Charlotte
As the days grow longer and the weather warms up, there’s nothing better than being outside, basking in the sun’s rays under the beautiful Carolina blue sky. Did you know that being in nature helps improve your memory, increase your productivity and even helps you sleep better? It sure does and mindbodygreen.com, paints an even bigger picture of the benefits in an excellent top ten list.
No matter if it’s walking in the park, cooking out on your deck or tending to your garden, it feels good to be outside after spending the winter cooped up inside. And what better way to be outside than at a fun festival or energizing event?
Everyone knows about the blockbuster concerts at the PNC Music Pavilion, the huge action at the Memorial Day weekend NASCAR races and the Charlotte Knights playing baseball under the city lights most summer evenings, but what about some other healthier, more active options for you, your family and friends to enjoy? Although they may not get as much attention, these events are more than entertaining and also better for your well-being.
If you’re looking for health conscious opportunities to be outdoors and enjoy the weather, look no further, from live music for a good cause to healthy expos, there’s plenty of opportunities ahead to get you out of the house and having fun in the community!
A fun Earth Day celebration great for the whole family.
- Thursday, April 20th, 11:30am-1:30pm
- Brixham Tent, 5801 Brixham Hill Avenue, Charlotte, NC 28277
- Annual Ballantyne Earth Day Event features music, food trucks, great giveaways, over 40 local vendors showcasing their sustainable efforts or green products and free, secure shredding and e-Cycling.
- Pop Up Produce will be a vendor at this event. If you happen to attend, we’d love to see you! Be sure to stop by our table.
Matthews Earth Day / Kids in Nature Celebration
An all-in compassing Earth Day celebration that has a wide range of activities for all ages.
- Saturday, April 22rd, 10am-2pm
- Stumptown Park, 120 S. Trade St., Matthews, NC, 28105
- Annual Earth Day Celebration is a joint effort between HAWK (Habitat and Wildlife Keepers)/NCWF and Town of Matthews.
- Celebrate our wonderful Earth and how to be sustainable! You can participate in HAWKcycling: recycling of batteries, CFLS, aluminum pull tabs, corks, egg cartons, medicines & more!
- Compost information, wildlife and animal exhibits, eco-friendly green businesses and services will be there to explore and learn more about.
- Food vendors, music and lots of fun!
- Pop Up Produce will be an exhibitor at this fun family event. We’re looking forward to sharing our story with over 1000 attendees who usually attend!
Enjoy some tunes while browsing through local art and goods on this fantastic, kid-friendly farm.
- April 22nd, 11am-6pm
- Hodges Family Farm, 3900 Rocky River Rd, Charlotte, NC 28215
- “Hippie Fest is the grooviest event of the spring! Featuring hundreds of North Carolina artists and vendors, local goods, live entertainment, food trucks and groovy vibes! Free fun for the whole family!!!”
An exciting expo that educates and celebrates eating healthy.
- April 29, 11AM-4PM
- Freedom Hall- 800 Brair Creek Rd. Charlotte, NC 28205
- "Charlotte VegFest is a celebration of healthy, sustainable, and compassionate eating and explores the endless benefits of vegetarian living. This FREE event will feature a variety of vegan foods, local veg restaurants and food trucks, local vendors, speakers, nutritional experts, vegan cooking demonstrations, free prizes, gift bags and more!"
- Pop Up Produce will be a vendor at this event. If you happen to attend, we’d love to see you!
With live music, an outdoor movie night and BBQ/wings tasting-- this one is definitely fun for all ages!
- May 5th-6th
- 125 N Research Campus Dr., Kannapolis, NC 28081
- “36-year tradition that hosts a Kansas City Barbeque Society Competition, Rides, 5k Walk/Run, Arts & Craft Vendors, Concerts, Friday Night outdoors movie, an All You Can Eat Pancake Breakfast at Cannon Memorial YMCA, and People's Choice BBQ and Wings Tasting.”
A party in the streets!
- May 7th, 1pm-5pm
- The third Open Streets 704 event be within walking and biking distance of the Elizabeth, First Ward, Windsor Park, Chantilly, Echo Hills, Commonwealth, Plaza-Midwood, Sheffield Park, Country Club Heights, Eastover, and Cherry neighborhoods.
Arts and Science: Opportunities abound to explore your creative side. Musical performances, artist demonstrations, interactive maker spaces, and dance ensembles of all ages will engage with Open Street 704.
Family Zone: Fun for the whole family! From bean bag toss to a pop up dog park – be prepared to get active. Activities will include: street soccer, bicycling demonstrations, pet crafts, life-size jenga, and more.
Green Zone: Be prepared to learn about nature, plant trees in the community, lend a helping hand in the garden, and talk about the wildlife from local nature centers.
Wellness Zone: Work on a fitter/healthier version of you! Cooking demonstrations, yoga classes, Zumba, and healthy heart initiatives will fill this zone with fun!
Pop up Produce will be in the Green Zone, so be to come by and say hello!
It’s a festival for a cause; responsibly enjoy some local brews while jamming out to local bands out on the gorgeous grounds of historic Rural Hill, which the proceeds benefit.
- May 12th – 13th, 9:30AM (yoga), 11:30AM
- 4131 Neck Road, Huntersville, NC 28078
- “11 bands and 15 local breweries over two days. We are humbled by the amount of support Historic Rural Hill has received through putting on this festival. And it is for this reason that we continue to pour our souls into it. Every event held at Rural Hill - a 501(c)(3) nonprofit - is in support of our mission as a historic site and center for education. “
An expo that strives towards the future by highlighting green innovations, sustainable living and a healthy community.
- May, 20th, 11am – 5pm
- Symphony Park, 4400 Sharon Rd, Charlotte, NC 28211
- “The Fresh Expo – A Healthy & Green Living consumer event is in cooperation with The Fresh Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to raising awareness, educating and inspiring every man, woman and child about healthy living and building thriving, sustainable communities. The Fresh Expo is an exciting event that showcases local, regional and national businesses and organizations that are innovative leaders in healthy, green, eco and sustainable living impacting the Charlotte metropolitan community.
- Learn about health and wellness, cleaner technologies and green innovations in transportation, energy and sustainability. Be a part of the Fresh Expo community as we take one step at a time, making positive changes in our lives while celebrating earth’s wonderful resources together! We also welcome healthy foodies be they gluten-free, organic, non-GMO, vegan, vegetarians and non-vegetarians to taste, touch, see and experience all that is FRESH in Charlotte! “
- Pop Up Produce will be a vendor at the Fresh Expo in the Eco Village so make sure to stop by our footprint and say hi!
Help others affected with lung cancer by running, walking in the 5Kor by rallying to bring awareness.
- May 20th, 7am
- Park Road Park, 6220 Park Rd, Charlotte, NC 28210
- “Join them by donating or registering for the Charlotte Lunge Forward 5K Run, Walk & Rally on May 20, 2017 and provide hope for those affected by lung cancer in North Carolina. Lung cancer takes more lives than breast, prostate and colon cancers COMBINED, but together we can change that!
- Form a team and ask friends, family members, neighbors and coworkers to join you. When you register, you'll be able to access online fundraising tools that make fundraising easy, convenient and FUN!”
Experience uptown Charlotte in a whole new way, as they shut down the streets for non-stop activities for the kids, live cooking exhibits and plenty of opportunities to support local small businesses.
- June 10th - 12th, Friday & Saturday 11am-11pm, Sunday 11am-6pm
- Uptown Charlotte, Stonewall to 5th Street“A three-day festival featuring over 100 samples from area restaurants along with Live Music and Entertainment, Interactive Children’s Activities, Cooking Demos, Street Performances, Unique Shopping and a large variety of local, regional and national partners interacting with festival goers, providing information, coupons and free stuff!"
Hopefully this lists gives you the opportunity to get out of the house and check out some of the awesome events going on in your community!